Wednesday 16 April 2008

Junk 45s #1: Masahiro Kuwana - 3rd Lady (1978)

The first in doubtless a lengthy line of 7" records bought very cheaply from junk stores solely because the cover made me laugh, hopefully you can get an impression of the musical content solely from the cover:

The medallion...the jheri-curls...the sweatiness...the tracksuit jacket...the pose...the moose knuckle...how could this not be good? And the slab of cheesy, sleazy disco-rock that graces side A doesn't disappoint. Just to give you a vague idea of the deep poetic forces at work here, the lyrics of the first verse can be translated as something like:

"I draw a figure of the pale moon upon your naked back
Fragile woman, with weak shoulders
Even at the cost of my life, I want to protect you"

(I think I'm off the mark, please correct me...)

The disco fever is tuned down somewhat for side B's "Tequila Moon", kickin' out the jams in a 1970s AOR stylee.

Download

3 comments:

ジョン said...

Man, this is a good start. I actually like '70s and '80s Japanese pop, so I'm probably going to like a lot of what you share. I liked this. Thanks for the upload.

ajf said...

Thanks! This single inspired me to purchase a live album of his that I found...sadly it's mostly just bland AOR. I also found another couple of his 45s though, including the devastating "Sexual Violet #1" which I will try and post at some point.

Corwin Rhysdiordan said...

Wow, what a nice find this post is. I don't think i'd ever become interested in Masahiro Kuwana's work if i heard "Third Lady" single first =S Anyway... Even though the post is more than 2 years old i wonder if that "devastating".. quality of 'Sexual Violet No.1' was explored beyond a 7 inch vinyl single up to the "Communication" LP =] Cheers, man!